Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Well seasoned

Nothing like a bit of salt and soda for making your fibre reactive dyeing successful! Here's what should have happened last time. These are the results I want my 80 little would-be dyers to have. Feeling more confident now that it might actually happen for them as planned. The thing that always amazes me is that these three pieces of fabric all had the same red, yellow and blue dye applied to them but in a difference sequence and in different quantities. I'm sure you can guess which was immersed in the red, blue or yellow first because remains the predominant colour. The red one was in a concertina fold, the blue one just scrunched up and the yellow twisted. All were secured with elastic bands.

I dyed some t-shirts for myself to wear whilst explain the process to the children. These will also help me illustrate the fact that fibre reactive dyes don't dye synthetic fabrics. Why is it that our cotton T-shirts aren't stitched with cotton thread? See how the thread remains undyed on both t-shirts?

So that's me, ready to rock 'n roll. I have an introductory dyeing session scheduled with the science teachers on the 22nd of this month.

1 comment:

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Love them Sally.... brilliant. If you want to cover the stitching .... try using transfer crayons to illustrate the point,--- that reactive dyes do not dye polyester or man made fibres.If you accidently get any transfer crayons onto the cotton T shirt - it washes out. Good fun!

Best wishes
Maggie