It's done, blocked and over with. Not blocked as in ironed but blocked as in sprayed with water, poked about a bit and left to dry. I do think this process relaxed the stitching a bit although it's still pretty textural. I did unravel the arms in the end and reduced the hook size but I'm still not convinced about the length. They may yet be ripped back.
This is a kind of wavy edge to edge cardi so I decided to make a cuff link arrangement using buttons joined together by a small piece of chain. A button will go through each protruding fan when the jacked was closed and will dangle cuff link- like from one side only when the jacket was open. I experimented with different, non-matching buttons.
I recently bought a beautiful John Rochas (diffusion line, not a catwalk ) crocheted cardi with, of course, crochet covered buttons. So for many, many hours I experimented with crocheted buttons. Here they are. Next step, cuff link manufacture.