Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Plannng the next school's project


The next school's project kicks off in August and is a collaboration between the art and science departments of my local secondary school. I'll have 80 11 year olds this time, heaven preserve us. So far the rather sketchy brief is to dye fabric, be inspired by cell structure and make mobiles. Thankfully not a collaborative outcome for all 80 kids this time but several smaller projects. I say thankfully.....remind me, this is better.....how?
After my last experience I was rather concerned about the construction challenges presented by fabric/mobiles/children/needles and thread so am making some samples of different fabrics stiffened with PVA glue. The picture shows from left to right synthetic, silk and cotton stiffened as a flat sheet and molded over a plastic lemon tray. As I always say, when life gives you lemons, keep they trays. Oh, and make lemonade. I'll let these dry overnight and see where we go from here.

No comments: