Saturday, April 07, 2007

Bag lady

I'm very anti-loyalty cards. I'm also very paranoid. I really shouldn't be using a computer at all if I don't like the idea of people being able to trace my every move. To my mind, that's what loyalty cards are for. 'They' know when I've been shopping, 'they' know what I've bought. Poor 'them'. They must be so bored. Maybe they should learn to crochet?

A sweet and generous customer visiting my loyalty card free retail establishment yesterday took the time to show me how to crochet a Solomon's knot. I'd tried to master this from books but never managed it. We fell to chatting about crochet, like you do, I whipped out my hook and some yarn and before I knew it I was knotting away like a good 'un. Incontrovertible proof that the power of persistence works.....and if you need more proof.........

I changed my supermarket recently. After being asked a gazillion times ' do you have a loyalty card?', I gave in. I am now the proud owner of a Tesco loyalty card and my paranoia has swung full circle. I'm sure people are trying to swindle me out of my loyalty points. You are supposed to be given double club card points when you take your own shopping bags but how would you know? Each week I proudly hold up my motley assortment but no lights flash, no bells ring.

The subject of shopping bags brings us full circle to my kind, knot teaching customer. I want to crochet a string bag. If I have to carry my shopping home in something it must be chic, in keeping with my creative persona and have holes no bigger than those through which a banana could fall. Anyone out there know of any patterns? This is the beginning of my first attempt but I think I'm going to try and find some wooden bag handles. Nothing more painful than being garroted by your carrier bag, no matter now stylish.

No comments: